MYSQL release 8.0 version on April 19, 2018. Here is short list of MYSQL 8.0 new features and key enhancements. Full list can be checked on MYSQL blog
- NoSQL – schema-free document database applications.
- SQL Window functions — window function for aggregate-like operations
- Common Table Expressions — Code like
WITH cte1 AS (SELECT a, b FROM table1), cte2 AS (SELECT c, d FROM table2) SELECT b, d FROM cte1 JOIN cte2 WHERE cte1.a = cte2.c;
- NOWAIT and SKIP LOCKED — Query can skip locked tables and rows.
- Descending Indexes — support for indexes in descending order
- Grouping — now grouping works in GROUP BY
- Character Sets — change default set, improve string sorting performance
- Cost Model — query optimizer become smarter
- Histograms — user can create statistics on the data distribution for a column in a table.
- JSON Extended syntax — new functions, improved sorting, partial updates. JSON table functions can be used for SQL statements in JSON.
- GIS Geography support — support different coordinates systems — Spatial Reference Systems (SRS), data types, indexed and functions.
- DDL statements have become atomic and crash safe, meta-data is stored in a single, transactional data dictionary.
- Remote management of a MySQL server over an SQL connection
- Security — make OpenSSL default TLS/SSL library, added SQL roles for better access management, add new set of priviledges that was included in “SUPER” role to limit user access rights.
- Add Resource Group — a feature to split server load per core.
Fixes & Improvements
- Regular Expressions — REGEXP_REPLACE finally working
- Significant improvements in Performance Schema, Information Schema, Configuration Variables, и Error Logging.
- Change default authorization and strengten password requirements.
- Improve InnoDB performance.
- Fix bit-wise operations with varbinary(16) type. It improves the usability of IPv6 manipulation.